Wednesday, May 20, 2020

When Immersion Goes Bad

This week's post is going to be shorter than usual. Before the end of the post, you will understand why.

Immersion is wonderful. I find it so easy to become immersed in media that sometimes I wonder if it is perhaps easier for me than the average person. I am the type of person who will get so into a book that if someone tries to talk to me it takes a moment for me to register where I am. I cry at movies and lose myself in stories and games. My imagination often runs wild. In response to a debate about the "magic circle" at the Meaningful Play conference one year, I told a room full of people I have my own private magic circle around me most of the time.

I love this about myself and more often than not, it's great. Occasionally though, it causes problems.



Ya - see it sometimes rains in the game. The sound of it is quite beautiful and I enjoy it. Because of this, however, I didn't realize that I was hearing water streaming into my basement behind me during the stream. It wasn't until I went to leave my office and stepped on wet carpet that I realized what was happening. 

My computer is fine though - I keep up it up on a bench for this very reason. So I will be back with more insightful words next week - when I have my office back in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment