Friday, July 3, 2009

What Do You Do for Fun?

I have written about the false (or should I say inaccurate?) dichotomy between work and play before, and of course I have read a lot on this idea seeing as Thomas is my adviser; but it wasn’t until recently that the idea of work and play being one and the same hit my personal life.

I was chatting with someone I met professionally (but we were not chatting about work or school so there it is again – was this fun or networking?) and he asked me what I like to do for fun. Simple question right?

Well let’s see, I play WoW – but that is with a guild of other game researchers. I follow a few game related websites – but I do games research. I chat online – but mostly with other researchers. I like to read – but mostly academic books. Sure, I read some fiction works and I like to watch movies, but I also generally like fantasy and Sci-Fi both of which easily tie back to my research themes and serve to keep me up-to-date with what the people in the community are talking about as well.

So, what do I do for fun? I guess I work for fun.

Or, I have hit the jackpot and I have fun for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment